Marisa Kirisame, Pranav Shenoy, Pavel Panchekha
- Determine heap size for garbage collected runtime.
- Review the space time tradeoff - the bigger the heap size is the faster it runs.
- Although all heap size for a single heap is pareto optimal, for a system with multiple heaps it may not be.
- This reflect the age old insight that optimality of subcomponent does not imply optimality of the whole system.
- We introduce rule that gurantees global optimality.
- Under such rule, extra memory grow sublinearly (squareroot) w.r.t working memory, as opposed to linearly.
- Take memory away from big heap and give it to small heap, reflecting the law of marginal diminishing return.
- Currently being implemented by firefox (bugzilla ticket)